new to the forum

Advice on Koi,Ponds and Equipment
gw0mmb

new to the forum

Post by gw0mmb »

new to the forum Hi all i am in the middle of building my mk2 pond but weather holding me back a bit bought a eazypod the other day so in the process of fitting it take a look here http://www.gw0mmb.co.uk/gw0mmbpond.html. any suggestions please let me know
roselanekoi

Re: new to the forum

Post by roselanekoi »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. May I ask what is your reasoning in having a split level in the pond also what gallonage is the pond going to be,

Colin
gw0mmb

Post by gw0mmb »

Hi colin,thanks for reply the reason ive got a split level is ive got a 20ft drop behind the pond so had to make it as strong as possible so thought it would be better to have a shallow end and a deep end.it should be about 1895gals but will check it with a water meter when i get it finished,
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Hi,
Welcome to NWKC Forum.
I can understand your worry about the back wall of your pond.
But if I can be frank, I would be more worried about the step in the pond.
It is a bit late now, I would have sloped the pond bottom from shallow to deep as opposed to the step.
Reason? Koi have a habit of scraping themselves on anything extruding causing damage to them.
I hope to be proved wrong in this case.
What is the finished spec. for the pond and filters?
Will be nice to see some more photo's when complete.

regards
Dave.
gw0mmb

Post by gw0mmb »

Hi Dave, i was thinking of sloping the bottom of the pond but a friend of mine is a architect and it was his idea to put the step in it to give it strength just in case the bank was washed away as it is built up ground,im getting worried now (scraping) because i didnt want the top of the liner above the water line so i was going to put a deep capping on it so 4 inches of stone whould be under the water level and about 6 inches of stone above hope this makes sense to you.Building in the surface skimmer at the moment another one of them last minute ideas not sure if i can connect that up to the intake of the eazypod which will be gravity fed and pumped back to the pond or will i have to use a separate pump?????any suggestions please let me know asap or if youve got the time perhaps you could call up and see me sometime will be working on pond most days this week.
Thanks again for the reply

Paul gw0mmb

Website http://www.gw0mmb.co.UK
Skype name gw0mmb
gw0mmb

Post by gw0mmb »

sorry Dave just noticed were you live bit far to just pop over
Paul
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Paul,
Not sure why you would not want top of the liner above the water line?
Any joint on the liner below water level would be a source of problems, and one that may happen at any time with movement of ground or liner.
Is it to make the pond deeper?
As for your surface Skimmer, do not try to run it into the Easy pod. Best to have 2 separate systems.
On my original small pond, I ran an inwall skimmer direct to a pump and back into the pond, with Skimmer basket in place it did the job very well.
You could fit the UV in this line also, thus putting the Max flow through the Easy pod.

Dave.
gw0mmb

Post by gw0mmb »

Hi Dave,
I just dont like seeing liner above the water level so the liner will be just below water level it will continue through under the stonework and then up to finish above water level and capped off so only only the stone will be visible,Thanks for the info on the skimmer does that mean i will have to run it 24/7 if the uv is connected in that line,By the way does anybody on the forum have a 4"gate/slide valve for sale to fit to the input of the eazy pod.
Thanks for the replies
Paul gw0mmb
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Paul,
I see what you doing, OK the liner top is above water level phew!!!
I would still be a little concerned about the brick or stone at water level causing damage to the Koi. When they feed they can tend to rush at the food and climb over themselves onto the rough stone. Just spread the food around and they should be OK.
Slide valves are OK to a point, but tend to wear out and not seal. Ball valves are more than twice the price but more than twice as good.
Get a good slide valve, Valterra are good.

Dave.
roselanekoi

Post by roselanekoi »

Paul,

With regard to the skimmer question, if you fit the UV in the skimmer line then you'll have to keep the pump running through the winter otherwise there's a danger of the UV freezing up in frosty weather and the quartz sleeve shattering. You don't of course need the UV to be switched on.

I've got a 4 inch slide valve somewhere but I can't guarantee it's 100% watertight, it should be OK for isolating the pod whilst you clean it though. PM me if you're interested,

Colin