Spring is nearly here!

Advice on Koi,Ponds and Equipment
roselanekoi

Re: Spring is nearly here!

Post by roselanekoi »

Looks like summer is nearly here! They say one swallow doesn't make a summer but I saw four whilst out walking the dog yesterday morning.

The photo below shows a vixen that stoped briefly to see what I was up to earlier in the week.

Fox2.jpg
Fox2.jpg (157.54 KiB) Viewed 275 times

As I keep a few poultry I must admit I'm not a fan of the fox however cute they look. One of my neighbours lost nearly all his hens last year before he worked out how the Fox was getting into the chicken run.
roselanekoi

Post by roselanekoi »

Spring is now well under way with the bluebells and wild garlic in full bloom in the local woodlands.

Bluebells.jpg
Bluebells.jpg (155.96 KiB) Viewed 184 times
wild garlic.jpg
wild garlic.jpg (131.54 KiB) Viewed 184 times

My favourite flower at this time of the year is the magnolia. The flower pictured below is on a small magnolia tree in my garden

magnolia.jpg
magnolia.jpg (80.53 KiB) Viewed 184 times
roselanekoi

Post by roselanekoi »

With the 21st of June being the official start of summer I thought I'd have a trip to Snowdonia to celebrate. I decided to visit a relatively small mountain (by Snowdonia standards) called Cnicht which is some 689m in height. Cnicht is situated in the Moelwynion hills a couple of miles east of the village of Croesor. There's a small free car park in Croesor which is pretty unusual in Snowdonia. Croesor is situated roughly between Porthmadog and Beddgelert and a couple of miles off the A4085.

Cnicht 1.jpg
Cnicht 1.jpg (166.28 KiB) Not viewed yet

Cnicht is ofter referred to as the Welsh Matterhorn for obvious reasons and the last section is quite a steep scramble as the picture below shows.

Cnicht 2.jpg
Cnicht 2.jpg (238.12 KiB) Not viewed yet

Apparently Cnicht is the old english word for a knight's helmet which probably makes it unique in that it's the only mountain in Snowdonia that doesn't have a Welsh name. Also there's no Ordinance Survey Trig point on the summit. One last point if you're thinking of travelling there, regardless of what your SatNav says, don't approach Croesor via the very narrow lane from Maentwrog. It's barely wide enough for a car in places, there are very few passing places and 4 gates to open and close. Fortunately it's also pretty deserted along this lane and I didn't meet any oncoming traffic.