Sunday 19th April 2009

Daily update of Trips to Japan
site admin
Site Admin

Sunday 19th April 2009

Post by site admin »

This afternoon we had an appointment with Hoshikin, as many of you have guessed
So this morning was a bit of scouting around to find some Nisai for Richdon stocks, so up into the mountains with Toro really on form,
I believe that they drive on the left in Japan, well hopefully most of the time something that Toro has not yet grasped, with quite a few hairpin bends negotiated on the wrong side of the road, we finally reached the safety of Ofuchi's Nisai house. This turned out to be an excellent safe haven, as there were some very good Koi in various varieties, Shusui, Asagi, Kujaku, Hariwake,Ochiba, Sanke, and Kohaku, a very pleasant morning was spent bowling and selecting.
One hobbist picked up a nice Hariwake and an Ochiba.
With the business completed we headed off for some lunch, back down the hairpins again, :shock: :shock: :shock:

A light lunch was decided, because we are heading for the German Bar tonight. We had a bit of time to spare, so we visited the Koi Museum in Ojiya, see an attached photo.

Well the moment had arrived, selection of Tosai from Hoshikin, the first pond was netted, the water that they were in was very like the colour of the 50K last Summer, you could not really see the Koi, until they were seine netted,at this point there were few expletive's going around :shock: :shock:
Over the next hour or so, the amazing Kohaku were selected from this pond, the quality is exceptional.

From there we proceeded to Tategoi House where another pond was netted for our selection, the silence that followed said it all, but the quality of these koi has to seen to be fully appreicated, some excellent koi were selected from about 150.
see attached photo's of proceedings.

I certainly had the Clive wobble, and a rather special Kohaku will be
coming home to North Wales, after a brief stay in the 50K.

Alan and John had wobbles too ;) ;) ;)

Exciting Times, I think a few beers are called for tonight

Dave san
My Pick!!!.jpg
My Pick!!!.jpg (18.79 KiB) Viewed 15508 times
Attachments
Koi Museum gardens.jpg
Koi Museum gardens.jpg (115.18 KiB) Viewed 15505 times
Tategoi to be selected from.jpg
Tategoi to be selected from.jpg (62.93 KiB) Viewed 15505 times
Martin R

Re: Sunday 19th April 2009

Post by Martin R »

Hi Dave,
Lovely looking Kohaku. 8)

First a belting Showa, now a Kohaku?

I think I'm go to update the rules of the NWKS Photo show to dis-allow koi that have not been purchased directly from a UK dealer :lol:

....unless you want to bribe me with a small Hi Utsuri?

Keep 'em coming

Martin
Rocky
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Martin,
I was honestly thinking of you, when we went to Shinoda one of the top breeders of Hi Utsuri in Japan the other day, and there was nothing for sale, the tosai that he had, were waiting to be sorted before going into the mud, when this happens, they sort out the tateshita the ones that are not quite good enough to go to the mud ponds, this will not happen till May.

I will temp you with a photo of the tosai. All 2000+ of them LOL
2000 Hi utsuri Tosai.JPG
2000 Hi utsuri Tosai.JPG (88.79 KiB) Viewed 15492 times
Dave san
ian m

Post by ian m »

Dave,

The kohaku is for me pure Hosikin, from the pic the white looks superb, the beni looks so deep and the pattern is great. After the 50K I'll volunter to over winter her for you, no problem.

Ian
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Ian,
The privilage of being to handle these koi, and see the quality is priceless and to be Fair to Hoshikin he was pointing out different qualities of each Koi selected, dead chuffed that he selected mine as second best to the flowery one Rich has for his own collection. And I picked it myself.
The problem is, and this is a BIG problem, Rich said that this Koi is now a benchmark for my Koi in the future. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dave san
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Dave,

A Sea of Black and Orange! What a dream 8-) 8-)

I'm still looking for a Hi Utsuri...................wonder if I can nip over in May?

Martin
Rocky