Home bred Shiro Utsuri

Koi and Pond related articles.
Please read conditions of sale.
roselanekoi

Home bred Shiro Utsuri

Post by roselanekoi »

I've just been sorting out the Shiro's growing on in my 70 gal aquarium and was shocked to find there were 41 koi between 3 and 5 inches long. These were 1 to 1 1/2 inches long in October.

I've now moved most of them into a larger tank. Some are looking quite promising as you can see from the attached photo.

Colin
shiro homebreds.jpg
shiro homebreds.jpg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 30544 times
site admin
Site Admin

Re: Home bred Shiro Utsuri

Post by site admin »

Hi Colin,
Looks like there are some good potential Shiro's in the bowl. And a few Showa's. When is the Auction? :lol: :lol: :lol:

What are breeding plans for this year?

Dave.
roselanekoi

Post by roselanekoi »

Hi Dave,

Yes there are plenty of very promising Shiros and the sumi seems to be improving now they are in the larger tank. Not sure how the few Showas are going to develop as the parent koi were all Shiros so the Hi may not be very stable.

This year I'm going to try breeding with Showas. I did try a pair of Showas first last year but couldn't get them to spawn so I may well end up with a Sanke or Kohaku spawning,

Colin
roselanekoi

Post by roselanekoi »

I've just been moving a couple of Shiros out to the pond so I thought I'd post a photo.
IMG_0958 for Forum.jpg
IMG_0958 for Forum.jpg (26.71 KiB) Viewed 30159 times
Both koi measure around 9 inches and still have a lot to do. Not sure how well the Tancho spot will develop or maybe it'll disappear, time will tell

Colin
roselanekoi

Post by roselanekoi »

I've just moved the last of the shiro's out to my main pond to make room for this years crop of kohaku. Some quite promising patterns although most still have plenty of development left. The largest of the fish was about 11 inches in length.
IMG_1101A.jpg
IMG_1101A.jpg (46.17 KiB) Viewed 29954 times
As always the one with the most promising pattern is deformed and has had to be culled. In this case the head is crooked and not in line with the body.
IMG_1105A.jpg
IMG_1105A.jpg (20.92 KiB) Viewed 29952 times
The tancho showa I photographed in June quickly became a shiro utsuri when placed in the pond something I half expected as the red spot on the head never looked very strong.

Colin
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Hi Colin,
Some with nice potential, I am sure they will be snapped up pretty quickly. That is if you don't want to keep them all :D :D :D
I prefer them with the underlying Sumi. The ones with finished Sumi have, in my experience no way to improve.
The Sumi tends to finish from the tail end and underneath first, so there should be an indication in those areas on the quality of the Sumi to come.

Dave.
TONY718

Post by TONY718 »

hi how much are thay going for thanks.....tony
roselanekoi

Post by roselanekoi »

Hi Tony,

I have been selling them for £15 -£25 each depending on size and quality. They range in size from about 8 - 14 inches,

Colin