Koi Breeding 2009

Photo's of Club Members Koi
roselanekoi

Re: Koi Breeding 2009

Post by roselanekoi »

Hi Dave,

I did put a male Showa into the mix when spawning the parent koi so it's possible some more sumi could appear as the fry grows. A few of the other fry have a lot more sumi on them but whether they develop into proper showa only time will tell,

Colin
roselanekoi

Post by roselanekoi »

Day 112

I've just carryied out a final cull on this year's fry before moving them inside for the winter. The fry are nearly 4 months old and the largest have grown to over 4 inches long. It's amazing the difference in growth rates as some of the smallest are still no more than an inch. These are being separated out and being put into a large aquarium. I've kept about 50 of the most promising to grow on in a heated tank over the winter.
Koi Fry12.jpg
Koi Fry12.jpg (47.47 KiB) Viewed 14570 times
Colin
roselanekoi

Post by roselanekoi »

Here's a picture of some of the koi just before they were moved to my main pond as they have outgrown my growing on tank. The koi are now just over a year old and the largest was about 14 inches.

The Hi is a little pale at the moment due to the koi being grown inside but this shloud improve now they are outside. Overall I'm very pleased with the final results
kohaku July 2010.jpg
kohaku July 2010.jpg (127.12 KiB) Viewed 14445 times
If you like any of them get in touch as they are all for sale,

Colin
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Colin,
Some very nice Kohaku, the one facing down from the top is particully impressive. Should not have any problem moving some on.

Dave.
roselanekoi

Post by roselanekoi »

With temperatures falling and the need to move this years fry inside for the winter, the last of the kohaku have been moved to the main pond. The colours are a bit weak but should improve considerably once they are outside.
2009 Kohaku.jpg
2009 Kohaku.jpg (194.32 KiB) Viewed 14392 times
Growth has been quite good with the largest measuring 36cm. As usual not all develop as expected and the koi at the top centre looks to be losing its Hi. It might stabilise as it is now its in the outside pond but I suspect it will end up all white. The koi with the head hidden is a straggler from a previous Shiro Utsuri spawning and has a nice head pattern but a completely white body.

All the koi pictured are for sale at very reasonable prices if anyone is interested,

Colin