Strange illness

Water Quality, Treatment Advice
DdraigCymru

Re: Strange illness

Post by DdraigCymru »

Nah, defineatly WON'T buy from them again. The man seemed proper nice too, but I guess they'll do anything to sell their fish.

Where would you suggest buying them from? If it turns out it is Khv, then I probably will start again; but buy some little ones and grow them instead of getting something bigger. I've got a reallllll liking for the black and yellow varities, Ki utsuri? I think <..<
I'm not swimming in cash, but anywhere you think might sell some *little* quality koi would be good :D Thank you again! Gawd, you're so nice ^^
OH. And another thing. How long should I leave the koi in the salt? Does it matter on size? Theres about 4 I'd like to do - the worst of them with the strange mottled mucus thing.
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Hi,
You can dip them in the salt for 5 mins, you can repeat daily if it is starting to help.

But please check your water parameters, if they are OK you can start looking for another cause of your problems.
But they more than likely brought them in with them?

Dave.
DdraigCymru

Post by DdraigCymru »

Hah, yep. My fathers *Actually* agreed to buy me some water testing kits after showing him this, so that's a positive. We're gunna' salt them tomorra', well, 3 of them. The biggest one really isn't looking good right now, but I suppose we'll see.
Last edited by DdraigCymru on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DdraigCymru

Post by DdraigCymru »

Where would you suggest buying koi from in the future?
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Sort your problems out first, then get back in touch.
There are always Koi for sale from members wishing to move koi on at reasonable prices.
DdraigCymru

Post by DdraigCymru »

Alright. Thanks :)
So. Salted three of them today, the biggest one seemed to respond really well to it, his dorsal fins got right up, and he's swimming around pretty merrily. One of the other two rolled over in it and I had to put him back after a few minutes.
Went to see the dealer today and he says his koi have all been inoculated against Khv, so that soothes my nerves. He gave us this other stuff, kusuri? I think. He said to try that if Salting doesn't work.

Thank you so much for you help! Happy days now ^^
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Hi,
If the dealer said they had been vaccinated for KHV that means they are Israeli koi and must not be mixed with Japanese koi, because they are technically carriers of KHV.

What is the Kusuri 'stuff' he gave you?
DdraigCymru

Post by DdraigCymru »

It was some chlorinated stuff, My father dealed with it, so I don't really know. But, regardless, the salting seems to be workin', so there we go. Thank you for your help : )