QT / Growing on Tank

Water Quality, Treatment Advice
Martin R

QT / Growing on Tank

Post by Martin R »

Hi,
After all my problems this year (still ongoing :evil: ) I've decided to look at building a QT/growing on tank.
I've just had a 100 gallon Vat delivered by my mate Alan which will get me past current crisis for 1-2 of my Koi. I can heat this etc

My plan is to construct a 6" x 3.5" x 2.5"(deep) pond in an outside shed, using 3 of the brick built retaining walls and a stud front wall. I'll probably use a Box liner, BD and gavity fed filter with Above water return (? one of Richdon's new venturis ). I estimate this at 320 gallons approx.

I'll be able to heat electrically and cover when necessary. The tank will get some natural light thru PolyCarb roof.

Any thoughts on whether this set up will be OK for purpose and also best way to filter.
Also, could I get it Fibreglassed rather than Liner, and glass onto a stud wall (Plywood)?

Thanks
Martin ;)
Rocky
site admin
Site Admin

Re: QT / Growing on Tank

Post by site admin »

Martin,
Sounds good, what is the restriction on depth? 3ft + would be better.
Should be a nice growing on tank, get it up to 23-24degC put 3 or 4, 6" koi in and 6 months later with
good food,good water12-14" koi ready for the Pond. :) :)

Dave.
ian m

Post by ian m »

Come on Martin get some photo's posted of the finished quarentine, we know its done. Let everyone see where there show and grows are going to have a B & B for the night.

Ian
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Here it is.
I've housed two "Heinz vaieties" koi in it to kick the filters off. All seems to be going well.

And yes, I know the pump has to be above water level :roll:

Martin
Attachments
QT
QT
QT for G&S.JPG (40.65 KiB) Viewed 15294 times
Rocky