PLEASE HELP

Water Quality, Treatment Advice
ghostkoi

PLEASE HELP

Post by ghostkoi »

can someone please help over the last month i have lost most of the fish from my girlfriends pond . we were suffering from high ammonia . i have just tested again and says it is still high but there is only 3 koi (10 inches max) 2 sterlet and one grass carp the pond is 14 ft long 4 ft wide but only 2.5 ft deep . have done two 50% water changes over the last month .
also done a scrape but found nothing .

what i am asking is if someone could PLEASE come and do another scrape for me i would be extremely gratefull . if the scrape is clear i intend to move the remainder of the fish to my own pond before i loose the lot

many thanks ian

hope to hear from someone anyone soon, ph 6/5 . nitrite 0
site admin
Site Admin

Re: PLEASE HELP

Post by site admin »

Ian,
Your pH is too low, should be in the range 7.0 - 8.5, this will be affecting your ammonia reading, you will need to buffer this up using this product,
http://www.kusuri.co.uk/shopping.php?class_id=100.

For sure that low pH will kill your koi.
Dave.
ghostkoi

Post by ghostkoi »

hi Dave
have added some of the nt labs buffer up (kh) will see what it reads in the morning before adding any more

cheers ian
ghostkoi

Post by ghostkoi »

ph now 7
MitchR

Post by MitchR »

Hi Ian,
Stop doing water changes!!!! Everytime you do one you are killing your filters bio side, i know there won't be much at this time of year but every little helps. As Dave says low ph will kill fish, carry on with the buffers and monitor. Remember Test kits wont work at these low temps so take a water sample inside to warm up then do them. Would also strongly suggest you don't mix fish until you know the answers.
ps. Also did you fill pond using water purifier?
Mitch.
ghostkoi

Post by ghostkoi »

hi mitch

last water change was 2 weeks ago, ph still at 7 ammonia still high , yes i have got a purifier. two more koi are looking very ill . looks like i have left it too late

ian
MitchR

Post by MitchR »

Hi Ian,
I'm sorry to hear about the fish, i couldn't do you a scrape as i don't feel i'm well enough qualified, however some of the other club members are more qualified and might contact you to help. I think without a scrape you would be struggling to find out exactly the course and hence the correct treatment. I know the Richdon web site has a wealth of information that might help ( if the moderators don't mind me mentioning them) and this could be your next plan of attack to see if something similar has been mentioned on their site.One last option would be to try and located a tank or container large enough to turn into a ''Heated'' QT which would give you much more control over the situation however you would still need a scrape done to know what to treat.
Hope it works out for you mate, Mitch.
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Hi,
I do not see the advantage of taking a scape at this time, because what ever parasite you find if any, you would not be able to treat as the water temp is too low. The lowest you can go is 45degF (7.2degC) with PP. A heated QT is the way, but this has to have fully mature water and filters other wise you will stress the koi.
If no new Koi were added to the pond prior to the problems, it is more likely to be a water related problem.

Dave.
roselanekoi

Post by roselanekoi »

Ian,

Reading your posts I would suggest that the high Am level, although very undesirable, is not the cause of the koi deaths but it may have been the low pH levels.

In the tables I have, for a pH of 6.5 and a temperature of 10C the total Am reading (This is what is measured by the test kits) would have to be above 30 before it would be harmfull to the koi. This is because at low pH and temperature levels the ammonia takes the form of Ammonium NH4+ which is much less toxic to the fish than the free Ammonia NH3+ present at higher pH and temperature levels.

This link to the koiquest website gives a fuller explanation.

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/ammonia.htm

As Dave has already said at the present low temperatures all the common pond treatments are ineffective,

Colin
ghostkoi

Post by ghostkoi »

hi all

ph has been steady for about a week now ( 7)

the fish perked up a bit , but two died have one koi and two sterlets and a grass carp left . the koi has a fungal type infection near it's gills any ideas , salt bath ???? :(

thanks for your posts so far

i have no heated qa tank