PLEASE HELP

Water Quality, Treatment Advice
site admin
Site Admin

Re: PLEASE HELP

Post by site admin »

Hi,
A salt bath would not do any harm, just keep an eye on the koi whilst in the salt, if it shows any sign of distress return to the pond.
What temp is the water?
The thing is finding the underlying cause of the original problem, were any new koi or other fish introduced? prior to the problems
If a serious parasite problem,they would have been flashing/jumping or just being lethargic hanging in the water.

Dave.
roselanekoi

Post by roselanekoi »

Ian,

As Dave says a salt bath shouldn't do any harm. Whilst you have the koi out of the pond you can clean up the fungus, also check on the condition of the gills. Fungus usually appears as a result of some other infection and is not generally a cause.

At the current low water temperatures I don't think any of the common medications to combat fungus will work.

Sadly, if you have no heated facilities to move the koi to I don't think it will survive the winter. No experience of keeping sterlet but I think they can stand cold temperatures better than the koi.

Colin
ghostkoi

Post by ghostkoi »

hi all

the koi were swimming on there sides and very lethargic , have added no new fish at all , no jumping or flashing . will give the koi a salt bath . both sterlets looking ok now . but one was showing signs of going down hill 2 weeks ago but since the ph has been ok he has picked up

ian
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

HI,
What temp is the Water?
With the pond only being 2.5ft deep!! The water temp will be pretty low with the cold start we have had to the winter.
Koi can withstand temps down to about 6 degC.Below that, between 6 degC and 2 degC go into a 'topid state', around 2 degC, systems start to shut down, and the koi will start to die.
If you have not already done it, cover the pond, keep the wind chill off.

Dave.