How much how often

Advice on Koi,Ponds and Equipment
robynfali

How much how often

Post by robynfali »

Always a point of debate I suppose.

But how much pellets to feed them, and how many times a day, as I said in my other post, they are about 2-3" long, have added 3 more today 2 ordinary goldfish and another koi, the two goldfish are about 3-4" long.

I used to feed the last lot i had twice a day, because these seem to deject flakes, i bought some pellets, and they all BELTED to the top to eat them today.
site admin
Site Admin

Re: How much how often

Post by site admin »

Hi,
Yes, this is a good point to debate. How much and how often to feed, this will ultimately depend on the water temperature, as the temp rises the koi's metabolism increases, and they require more food.
Few Koi keepers really know how much their koi should be eating on a daily basis,above 50degF(10degC) they should be fed a small amount once or twice a day.But as the temp rises this can be up to five or six times a day. Koi can survive on 2% of their body weight a day,but this intake will only be a 'maintenence' diet.
Make sure that there is no uneaten food left on the water after 10mins,this will only load the filter system.
The food itself is another subject of its own, cheap food is what it is, you will not get the best growth out of your koi, and also it will cloud your pond with waste.
This is where being a member of a Koi Club has an advantage, we buy good quality Koi food in bulk and sell it to members at a very competitive rate.
Dave.