Spring is nearly here!

Advice on Koi,Ponds and Equipment
roselanekoi

Re: Spring is nearly here!

Post by roselanekoi »

The figs on my fig tree are very small this year but the flavour is the best I've ever had. Could it be that the large figs are just small figs blown up with lots of water?

Colin
pollygog

Post by pollygog »

Every chance of that Colin as my figs get more water than they would normally do due to constant damping down to keep the dreaded red spider at bay. You have good drainage in your greenhouse which is essential to growing figs, yours just need some liquid tomato fertiliser to increase size! The variety I grow is Brunswick which is a very large pear shaped fig anyway and certainly a bigger variety than the Brown Turkey you grow, but your fig excells on taste over Brunswick, this is why its so popular. I have grown figs every year for at least 30 years, my problem is I've had this particular Brown Turkey growing in a pot for 7 years and never had a fig on it, this is why I took cuttings off your fig earlier on in year to try a different stock as I'm convinced mine is barren. Without a doubt the Brown Turkey is by far the most popular fig on the planet and features in just about every gardening catalogue.
I also have a small fig tree I bought last year in Lidl that now has tiny figs on it but no name of fig on label so curious to know what it is?.
pollygog

Post by pollygog »

Last of old crop of figs weighed in at 5.5 ounces this morning new crop swelling fast and should be ready for end of August.
Found small male hedgehog drowned in wildlife pond yesterday morning, one of last years young I would guess. It was trapped in weed as the last one was so I have very reluctantly removed all the floating weed from pond, the sad sight of the pathetic little body prompted me to find an alternative source of cover. The thick matt of weed provided a refuge from predators for the newts, the dreaded herons mainly but I have now put several large rocks around ledges of pond to provide cover for newts and to give an escape route to anything that falls in in future, not as efficient as weed but its a compromise until lilly pads grow and cover pond. Went down last night after dark with a torch and 6 newts and a frog have moved in to the rocks aready.
The woods at the back of our house is a roost sight for rooks and jackdaws and last night at 10 40 pm a huge mixed flock flew over making a hell of a din as they circled around before settling down for the night in the trees. They will do this every night now just after dusk and the flocks get bigger as the Autumn arrives, its over and done in a few minutes but well worth seeing but I don't know how they see to land!.
pollygog

Post by pollygog »

The grey squirrels struck again and this time they have really overstepped the mark. As a result I have declared war on the beggars.
In the early hours of Friday morning they visited the garden and completely stripped 5 gooseberry bushes of about 3 kilo's of fruit and chewed through the nets on my Stella cherry tree and the Tayberries and ate or spoiled further fruit. It really is soul destroying to see so much damage and its also infuriating to find so much spoiled partly eaten fruit scattered about. When they attacked the Tayberries they opened the net on the top of fruit cage and allowed the blackbirds in on ripe fruit, result was more damage!. This latest attack tells me I shall have to invest in some comprehensive fruit cages for my gooseberry crop next year as the squirrels are a permanent local fixture thanks to the misguided uninformed neighbours of mine who feed them regularly through the year. Just wish they could see the grey squirrel on uTube filmed eating 6 baby goldfinches, grisly ! Might just alter their views on the fluffy cute furry things that visit their bird table.
Now, where can I hire a Pine Marten!
pollygog

Post by pollygog »

Interesting conversation last night with farmer who keeps store cattle in field at the bottom of our garden, he was telling me he had an emergency trip to vets with one of the bullocks a week last Saturday morning. The animal seemed to be in distress and had difficulty breathing and when he examined it closer in pen he found it had a large hard lump under its chin on the side of its throat causing it to cough and gasp loudly. The bullock was put in a trailer and taken to vets who examined the animal and told farmer that bullock had been bitten on the neck by a snake! The animal is now fine after a course of (expensive)injections.
The vet put it down to recent hot weather that drew snakes out of their normal habitat in search of prey, there had been an upsurge in snakebites this summer because of it apparently according to vet.
Caveat Canis!
pollygog

Post by pollygog »

Clear at last, clear at last! my koi pond has finally got reasonably clear over last couple of days after being like pea soup for last 5 or 6 weeks due I'm sure to hot sunny weather, lets face it we're just not used to it, not so much of it anyway, my filter has never been cleaned so much as it has over last few weeks and the resulting amost daily sludge flushing out onto my pear trees at bottom of garden has some beauties of pears developing. The annoying thing is my new wildlife pond is now crystal clear and thats despite the soil and compost I put in there 2 months ago What new pond syndrome?
I can clearly see the baby newts swimming around exploring their new home, counted 7 up to now but more keep appearing each week. They do look peculiar with their tiny legs and external gills that are actually bigger than their legs at the moment which is what makes them look odd I suppose. Couple of bigger ones I spotted yesterday so I'm hoping they are Great Crested efts. Got some decent netting over the last of my cherry tree crops, well secured down this time and bad news for the squirrels in the woods at the back of our garden, the farmer told me that there is an organised pigeon (and squirrel) shoot arranged sometime shortly after the Eisteddfod which starts in Denbigh this Saturday for a week. Anybody interested in the Eisteddfod by the way its being held in a field off the Bodfari Rd near St Brigids RC school. I think its possibly the field where the flying school microlites fly from as it seems to me its the only one big enough and flat enough around there for the festival but its very well signposted from Denbigh and Trefnant.
pollygog

Post by pollygog »

In answer to my recent complaint about squirrels raiding my garden Colin put a cheeky squirrel stew recipe in our newsletter this week so, by way of reply here is mine garnered from our Yankee cousins on uTube. Now I don't know whether you can buy skinned squirrels from the supermarkets in the States but the guy doing the cooking had 6 in a freezer pack!. For squirrel stew for 6/7 persons (read that for 4 if you are American) the ingredients you need is 6 squirrels, 2 onions chopped , 1lb streaky bacon fried and chopped, 4 potatoes peeled and diced, 6 or 7 stalks of celery chopped (+ celery salt if needed), 4 carrots peeled and diced, 2 cloves garlic crushed and fried with bacon, 1 medium size tin of sweet corn, 1 large tin of chopped tomatoes, corn oil for frying, 2 ounces of flour (or big spoonful), salt and pepper to taste. Chop or cut 6 prepared squirrels in half then steep the 12 pieces in brine for an hour. Pour away brine and put in large pan with 8 pints of water and add a large tin of tomatoes and bring to boil before simmering, after an hour or so check to see if meat is cooked, if cooked take portions out with tongs as you need to cool and remove meat from bones before adding back to pan. Take large frying pan and fry spuds onions celery and carrots in corn oil then add to pan and cook on gentle heat for further half hour or until vegetables are tender then add cooked bacon with garlic. Mix large spoonful of oil with same of flour and stir into stew (to thicken) add tin of sweetcorn last 10 minutes and serve hot.
There is also a simple recipe for dumplings to go with this dish but it might be just a tadd too much. Anyway, Bon appettite.
pollygog

Post by pollygog »

Found out this morning what the Eisteddfod Denbigh are charging for admission: an eye watering £18.00 each! I suppose its the same old theory you pays your money; etc. Personally I would sooner pay that for a full days fly fishing, at least I get to keep a couple of nice large trout for that price. Come to think it wasn't much more for Cyn and I to go by coach yesterday to Beaumaris Anglesey from Dyserth. Very good day out to see the Puffins (and other wildlife) on Puffin Island, the overall deal included a one and a half hour boat trip on a large catamaran (all 52 persons on coach) from Beaumaris to the Island to see the birds. Excellent day out and the weather stayed kind to us till long after we got back to Beaumaris in the boat. We had our lunch a stroll down the pier and an obligatory ice cream before the rain finally arrived at 2.45pm we left at 4.00pm so it never spoiled anything for us. The restaurant we had our lunch at is called 'The Pier' ; not surprisingly its on the seafront opposite the pier and just about the best fish and chips to be had in Beaumaris. The very fresh locally caught fish is fried in their speciality gin and tonic batter, no spoof, it really is, served with fresh samphire and fresh peas served with their chopped pods. The whole meal was excellent, but we have eaten there before.
pollygog

Post by pollygog »

I posted yesterday what the Eisteddfod where charging for admission, the £18.00 charge is only for admission to the the showground, you have to pay again if you want to go in to large show tent to listen to singing etc, but the good news is its only £16.00 each if you are an OAP!. It makes my day out to Beaumaris on Sunday an even better bargain value for money wise.
Don't forget our next koi club meet is Ians tomorrow night and we need raffle prizes!.
My grow and show Kuhaku Halfpenny is burgeoning and eating his socks off, I now have a pacemaker for him in the shape of Nigels grow and show Kuhaku and its good to compare the development of both very similar fish. To keep the WRU theme going the newcomer has been named Hibbard the Welsh hooker (No 2 shirt) as it is a two step.
pollygog

Post by pollygog »

A big big thank you this morning must go to Ian for a very enjoyable club meeting at his house last night and I'm sure I can speak for everyone who turned up that Ian made every effort to make us as welcome as possible, 10 out of 10 Ian. The company of many like minded people who I now regard as personal friends adds immeasurably to the warmth and conviviality of the occasion and last night was no exception for as we put the world to rights over a glass or three the sun slowly sank Westward and finally disappeared over Rhyl giving us a perfectly peaceful evening, the remains of a lovely day. The local bat population on cue gave us a free flying display over Ians pond and garden, occasionally just too close for some peoples comfort.
One recurring theme I notice whenever I visit other peoples ponds is the love of gardening closely coupled with the love of keeping koi and its a rare koi pond thats not displayed with the foil of a well kept lovingly cared for garden display and Ians is no exception as a backdrop to show off his stunning fish. I suppose its this common denominator that draws us together as a group and bonds us to a mutual purpose, long may it be.
Spoke with the farmer at the back of our house again this morning and he told me he'd just had the bill from the vets yesterday for the treatment for snakebite to his bullock, £43.00 for injection plus a further £19.00 to examine the beast prior to injection, the bullock was sold at St Asaph livestock sales and went for slaughter this morning, he said the Oswestry sales averaged £2,200 per animal this Tuesday down on last week so he already had a dent in his profit!
He was waiting for a phone call with the auction prices from St Asaph as he had sent some lambs to market as well, he was expecting £90.00 each or thereabouts, gives you some idea of how your meat gets to be the expensive price it is.