New here :)

Advice on Koi,Ponds and Equipment
Bane62

New here :)

Post by Bane62 »

Hi just moved to the area from France where we lived for 4 years, we are now in the process of buying a new house and have decided to get into Koi again after a 6 year break.
I plan on a 3500 gallon pond, but have alot of decisions to make but i will prob go for a gravity fed bead filter with a venturi return, surface skimmer with a 55w uv on that line.
As i'm still in the planning stage any help will be greatfully recieved i.e. pump size and layout i will doing all the manual stuff myself and have around a £5000 budget
site admin
Site Admin

Re: New here :)

Post by site admin »

Hi,
Welcome to the NWKC Forum.
Ask away with your questions, but my advice to you would be to see as many ponds and their setup as possible.
Bead filters are very good with a sieve in front, I would advise against the venturi as they put back pressure on the pump.
To get Air in the pond is best with an Airated Bottom drain?
So many options?

regards,
Dave.
roselanekoi

Post by roselanekoi »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, In addition to Dave's comments if you're using a sieve you can also feed your skimmer into the sieve and save running a second pump.

Try to keep your pipe runs as short as possible and with a minimum number of bends. Use 2 inch pipework for the returns as this will also reduce the head loss in the return pipework enabling you to possibly use a smaller (and cheaper to run) pump.

Finally and probably the best advice, once you've decided on what you intend doing get in touch with Richdon Koi and take details of your intended pond build for them to look at one weekend. It's a free service (although they obviously hope you'll buy the equipment from Richdon) and they will give you very sound advice which may save you both money and heartache in the future.

Colin
Bane62

Post by Bane62 »

Thanks for the warm welcome :)
I am sure there will be lots of questions, house hunting today with the wife, "today i will be mainly looking at back gardens" :)
Bane62

Post by Bane62 »

Just wondering about pond linings, was going to go for a box liner as i doubt my budget would allow for render options.
anyone know the approx price of fiberglassing a 14x10x6 all the block work and rendering would be done by myself......Thanks
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Fiberglassing is the best and of course the most expensive, works out roughly £25 sq M.
I have used a box welded liner in the past which was fine with plenty of polyflex to seal around Bottom drain, Skimmer and returns. And is a cheaper option.
You will have to do a bit of searching for the best price at the moment.

I agree with Colin about visiting Richdon Koi, great pond planning service and if you decide to buy from them you will gains points which are used against the purchase of Koi :lol:

Dave.
Bane62

Post by Bane62 »

site admin wrote:Fiberglassing is the best and of course the most expensive, works out roughly £25 sq M.
Hmmmm that works out £2800 just for the glassing @ 112 sq M i will be going down the box weld liner road i reckon :)
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Bane62 wrote:Hmmmm that works out £2800 just for the glassing @ 112 sq M i will be going down the box weld liner road i reckon
Sorry I don't get it to that?
Say 4.2M long x 3M wide and 1.8M deep.
So,
2 sides 4.2 x 1.8 = 15.12 sq M
2 ends 3 x 1.8 = 10.8 sq M.
and the bottom 4.2 x 3 = 12.6 sq M.

15.12+10.8+12.6 = 38.52sq M x £25 = £963 say £1000.
not a cheap exercise but its there for good.

Dave.
Bane62

Post by Bane62 »

LOL maths was never my strong point :) think i got mixed up with sq feet
Bane62

Post by Bane62 »

ok first question .....would a sieve filter be able to handle the flow of a bottom drain and surface skimmer (gravity) both 4" saving the expence of a second pump?
Hope i made myself clear :)
so bottom drain and skimmer ---> sieve filter----->Pp----->bead filter---->return to pond, if that makes sense!!