Viewing window using liner

Advice on Koi,Ponds and Equipment
nicarper

Viewing window using liner

Post by nicarper »

Hi i was wondering if anyone can give me some info on how to install a viewing window in conjuction with a pond liner. I noticed a pic on here of a pond with a liner and window so if anyone can help i would be very grateful
dan

Re: Viewing window using liner

Post by dan »

Hi nicarper -

Welcome to the Forum :)

Could you point out which pic your referring to?

I would have thought creating a decent seal around the window with a liner would be quite difficult - I think it's normally achieved with Fibreglass, but I could be wrong.

Cheers

Dan.
nicarper

Post by nicarper »

Yeh its terry and diane madews pond on the pond visit section.
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Hi Nicarper,
It can be done, I think the way to do it, the window frame is made with an inside flange (all in stainless steel) which is screwed or bolted to the window frame from the inside, so the liner is clamped between it and the glass with plenty of sealant. :?
The glass would have to fit between the screws with sealant before fitting the clamping flange. :?
It is a bit like the flange on a bottom drain that is designed for a liner.
The only problem is the screws or bolt heads are on the inside of the pond, something for the koi to rub themselves on. :(
IMO the safest way is get the pond fibreglassed. :lol:
Hope it helps,
Dave.
nicarper

Post by nicarper »

As iam new to ponds and koi can you explain what way do do fibreglassing and how much it would cost compared to a liner.
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Hi,
Do not be afraid of asking any questions, we all had to start somewhere.
OK, A koi pond is usually constructed using solid or hollow concrete blocks,in what ever shape or size you prefer or can easily manage, min depth 4ft 6in, 5ft would be better, with a bottom drain.
To fibreglass the pond, the concrete blocks would have to be rendered with a cement mortar mix approx 1/2in thick,when dry the fibreglass is applied to this.This process is best tackled by the professionals.
The cost of fibreglassing as opposed to a box welded liner, would be slightly more expensive (+£100-£200), but I think the extra would be money well spent all depends on the size, liners can rip/ puncture, fibreglass is permenant.

Just ask away,
Dave.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Hi Nicarper
Welcome, and keep asking, asking, asking !!

Dave is right. Windows and Liners are not good partners. My pond is a liner pond, without a window :cry:

The Madew's pond is the only Liner pond with a window I've ever seen (I took the photos on this NWKS visit ;) ). Lovely pond, but technically a difficult thing to achieve without leaks and weak areas.

Windows are great. My next pond (3 words my wife hates to hear) will have one, and will therefore be Fibreglassed.

If you can't use Fibreglass for either Technical or cost reasons don't worry. You can still have an excellent Koi pond using a liner. If viewing underwater is your thing there are alternatives:
1. Low voltage Underwater lights (eg Blagdon)
mean you can view the Koi in the evenings. I have these and they're brilliant. Sat on pond wall on a Still night with Glass of Red Wine in hand.............magical. The Koi seem to hover in Nothingness :o
2. You can make a cheap Underwater CCTV camera (adapting Underwater light and Cheap security camera) that transmits images to you TV or video. Underwater Koi view from the comfort of your living room.

Just a few ideas :P
Martin
Rocky
nicarper

Post by nicarper »

Thanks lads i like the idea of an underwater camera it sounds the mutts nuts. :D
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

Hi Nicarper,
Have you a pond already,or are you starting from scratch?. It is very exciting planning a new pond :?
If you require any more help, do not hesitate to ask.
Also if you do not live too far away, we have an excellent club library, with books and video's on pond construction.

Dave.
nicarper

Post by nicarper »

Thanks for the advice dave. i live in ireland and will be modifing the pond i already have.