Skittish Koi

Advice on Koi,Ponds and Equipment
MitchR

Skittish Koi

Post by MitchR »

Hi Gang,
Just got my final 2 fish into the Growing on tank. They now total 6 between 5'' and 7''. Last year i had a chagoi in with the previous batch which kept them calm however this year i have all go-sanke and they are terribly skittish to the point where they are smashing into the walls of the tank when i lift the lid to feed them and i'm concerned they are going to hurt themselves.
The tank is 300 gallons and well filtered, all parameters are spot on. It has a clear polycarb lid half of which is shaded as the tank sits below a window in the Garage. Temp is a steady 23C and i have no health issues.
I really dont want to go down the route of another Chagoi/Ogon/Ochiba to calm them again as i'm happy with what i have.
So, do any of you have any ideas how to calm them as i'm very concerned.
All answers will be much appriciated!!
Warmest regards ................. Mitch.
site admin
Site Admin

Re: Skittish Koi

Post by site admin »

Mitch,
I think Colin's idea with a feeding Hole in the top of the cover maybe the best route. At least the cover will not have to be lifted.
I can remember mine being very skittish, they get braver as they grow.
Another idea is to keep the tank clayed, a couple of times a week might help just to reduce the clarity.

Dave.
roselanekoi

Re: Skittish Koi

Post by roselanekoi »

Mitch,

Once the koi get used to being fed in one place with the feeding hatch there's usually a mad rush for the food once the hatch is lifted and the pellets dropped onto the surface, I very often get splashed in the mad rush for food.

Another suggestion is to put a few more koi in the tank (I've still got some nice little kohaku left). When they were all in the small covered pond in the yard they were all coming up to feed as the cover was lifted, safety in numbers I guess,

Colin