Spring is nearly here!

Advice on Koi,Ponds and Equipment
roselanekoi

Re: Spring is nearly here!

Post by roselanekoi »

Perhaps we should change the title to Summer's almost here. During my recent walk up Moel Famau I heard the Cuckoo sing his song. Yesterday afternoon, when walking the dog near home, I saw around 5 swallows busy flying around catching insects, no doubt hungry after the return flight from their winter holidays in South Africa.

How does the old rhyme go:

The Cuckoo comes in April,
He sings his song in May,
June she lays her eggs,
July they fly away.

Leaving some small unsuspecting bird to rear its young. One of these host birds is the meadow pipit of which there are plenty on the moors and it is probably why I've heard the cuckoo when walking in the hills although it's rarely heard near home now.
pollygog

Post by pollygog »

Looks like you'll have a good crop of plums this year Colin.

That's an impressive Magnolia; it would look nice in your back garden!

Bodnant Gardens in the summer of 2010 is where I first came across Ian Sturrock who I got my first Denbigh plum tree from. I was talking to a gardner there and we got on to the subject of heritage fruit trees, he told me about Ian's work with the Welsh Heritage Fruit Trees and told me that Ian had just delivered there. I caught up with Ian in Conwy and arranged to pick up some trees from his nursery in Bangor that November, I was hooked!
I have got to know Ian quite well since through the North Wales Heritage Orchard Cluster organised by Horticulture Wales.
I shared a desk with him at the Aberystwyth University meeting on 4th March 2020 just prior to lockdown.
We could as a group, discuss fruit trees for hours, that was bliss, pure bliss!

May, what a month so far.
The rain ceaseth not, but cometh in ever increasing doses to drown our worms and floodeth our gardens!
Each morning this month I open the curtains and it's still raining, so: EVERY MORNING I CHECK MY FEET FOR WEBBING BETWEEN THE TOES!
roselanekoi

Post by roselanekoi »

When walking the dog this morning I saw a bird I've never seen before locally, a red kite, what a majestic bird it is with its forked tail.